I worked last night (I’m a nurse) and got a call from my husband that a storm had rolled through and we had some serious straight line wind at our house. After the worst of it passed he checked on my hives and they were a mess! That was the longest shift of my life waiting for morning to roll around so I could head to the bee yard and start cleaning up the mess. Thank you so much to my not-so-crazy-about-bees husband for running out in the dark and rain to cover as many hives up as possible!
And what a mess! Around midnight Daniel was standing on the porch when a gust of wind came at the house so hard it almost knocked him down. It did blow my stack of extra equipment I had been working on off into the yard. No harm done there, other than I’ll have some cleanup to do this afternoon. The real mess was out in the apiary.
I don’t think there was really any good way to prevent this. They were all sitting on single concrete blocks, so they had a low center of gravity. The lids were bricked down. Strapping each hive down would be an expensive time sink. The fact that concrete blocks were moved around makes me glad I have insurance on this equipment. Fortunatly I’m only out a single lid this time, and that lid flew away from the house instead of through a window.
I drove around and checked on my other hives and they weathered the wind fine. One yard is ready for another round of supers! 24 hours after getting out of bed I finally got to crawl back into it 🙂
Knowing that my hives are in need of immediate attention and having to sit at work for another 6 1/2 hours before I could get to them has really drivin home the fact that I need to get the beekeeping business up to full-time as soon as possible.